Sunday, March 15, 2015

more than a number

I am more than a number
-
but a size zero makes me feel better than a size four
so i sit here in jeans
that leave red marks on my hips
and make it hard to breathe.
but see its a few inches and..
-
I am more than just a number
-
but i know every test score i ever got,
and i still remember fourth grade
and question three
and crying because suddenly my mistakes had weight
and i couldn't fix things by saying sorry and..
-
I am more than a number
-
but I've always been the second choice
never first picked at recess
always the not-quite
not the best friend to anyone,
just a girl with kind eyes and jeans that are a little bit too tight and..
-
I am more than a number
-
to you i am eighteen, eleven and two
and lets be clear, its the two that haunts me
because sex doesn't matter
and i wish i was more to you than just another..

-
I am more than a number
-
except i still remember how i came in fourth place
the "oh, so close" place
the place thats good, but not good enough for a ribbon
and i still check for how many comments i get on my blog every five minutes
one, two, four, seven...
-
But I am more than a number
-
you'll probably remember me as the girl who sat in the third row
or you'll remember me being number four in the race. 
but i'd rather be remembered as the one who changed things
maybe after one, two, four, seven drinks i won't remember you.
-
baby I'm more than a number

7 comments:

  1. I comment all the time because I adore you, but there are no words to describe the depth and awe of this post. You capture things in words better than anyone I've known and I haven't even met you yet. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OKAY. This is my favorite post of the week hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. k im not really sure what to comment because there were too many good lines to just choose one. but this one really got me. "and crying because suddenly my mistakes had weight and i couldn't fix things by saying sorry". too true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The part about 4th grade really got to me. I don't know why but it just sunk in the best. "and question three
    and crying because suddenly my mistakes had weight
    and i couldn't fix things by saying sorry and.."
    the specificity of question three and mistakes weighing something and sorry not fixing. wow I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohmigosh favorite post! I cannot just pick one line I loved, because this whole thing was perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "but I've always been the second choice
    never first picked at recess
    always the not-quite
    not the best friend to anyone"

    loved this part so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are incredible! Really, good work. I can see how much time you put into each of your posts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete