Sunday, March 8, 2015

life & death

I first saw death at the age of four
He whisped past me,
But I was too young to understand.
I couldn't see his hands wrapped tightly around my dads throat.
I watched death for months
The way he turned my father into someone else 
But one day he disappeared
Just like that he was gone, and we were safe.

Death later visited me again at seven,
as I watched my dog pass into eternities slumber.

After so many years with her by my side, the loss was shattering.
How could death take her away from me?
When I close my eyes I still feel her soft fur between my fingertips.

Later on, at fourteen, death hit me like a brick.
The cells in his body started to multiply and wouldn't stop.
They told us there was only today or tomorrow,
Please, please don't take him away from me.
We never speak about how his last breaths sounded like train wrecks 
or how his passing meant months of grey.
Just about his smile and laughter and how he could cure any bad day.

Death came unnanounced again at fifteen.
Hearing the news late that August night,
I swear I could hear the shattering hearts for miles.
I could picture his glasses and hear his soft sweet voice, 
I remembered how he looked out for me.
Death told me that time heals and time takes, though
he failed to mention this empty void in the middle of my chest that doesn't go away.

Death visited again, only last week.
For a second I forgot how to breathe
Like my lungs didnt have anything left 
Last week death hit,
and he hit hard
like the clashing of cymbals and blaring of horns. 
 I think he woke us all up a little bit.

I know that death will take me into his grasp one day.
Some days I pray that day will be tomorrow
and other days I dream of living forever.
Some days I have hundreds of reasons to stay
but others I can't seem to think of one.

But i'll smile and nod and laugh
like breathing comes easy
beacause life & death are my friends
and their winds can't tear me apart







10 comments:

  1. "I think he woke us all up a little bit."

    And great closing line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "like breathing comes easy"

    hit me hard man

    ReplyDelete
  3. there was feeling in this and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so unbelievably beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS IS WOW. just wow. "beacause life & death are my friends
    and their winds can't tear me apart" freak yeah. keep going my unbelievably strong friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "We never speak about how his last breaths sounded like train wrecks
    or how his passing meant months of grey.
    Just about his smile and laughter and how he could cure any bad day."

    this was one of my favorite lines. we focus on the sad and the happy at the same time and i liked that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Because life and death are my friends" yes. just yes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was so amazing.

    Also just wanted to say thank you for your comments. You make me feel like writing stuff is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "We never speak about how his last breaths sounded like train wrecks
    or how his passing meant months of grey. Just about his smile and laughter and how he could cure any bad day." Holy s this post was the realest

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I think he woke us all up a little bit." freak, this post was amazing

    ReplyDelete